Fall is almost upon us. Once you’ve taken out your jeans, sweaters, and boots, getting the garden all cleaned up will be part of your to-do list this fall. This is the perfect time to prepare your yard for winter (and next year). Believe us, this will make yard maintenance way easier come spring!
Here are 6 tips on preparing your home garden this fall:
- Clean your garden pots and make sure you get all that grime off of each and every one. What works really well with plastic and clay posts is a mixture of 50% water and 50% white vinegar. This way your pots won’t freeze with dirt on them and won’t be a hassle when you set out to plant new.
- Make sure you empty all the pots and cover anything that may collect water. We all know what happens to water that’s left out in a Canadian winter!
- Once all the leaves have dropped, take the time to clean the gutter. This is the best time to check for leaks and have them repaired.
- Trim tree branches that are close to your Okotoks home to keep your house safe when heavy winds and snow arrive. Trim just enough to keep your home out of reach because too much can damage a tree.
- Bring all your patio furniture into the garage. If this is not possible, tarp them to protect your furniture from our harsh winters.
- Sharpen and clean your garden tools by burying them in a bucket of sand and motor oil.
Time to get moving! We know that fall weather can make you want to stay on your couch sipping a cup of hot cocoa, but you’ve got to get your Okotoks home ready for the upcoming season!