Can you smell that? That’s spring! Spring is in the air and what better way to welcome it but with a clean home. We know that living in one of the beautiful homes in Okotoks is great, but with your growing family, everyone can use a bit of spring cleaning.
Did you know that indoor air can be five times more polluted than outdoor air? Those seemingly harmless dust bunnies under your couch? They are not harmless! They could contain harmful toxins that can cause respiratory problems or aggravate existing ones. Do you want to expose your family to this danger? Of course not!
The good news is, with spring cleaning, you can get rid of the health hazards lurking inside your Okotoks home. Begin by opening up your windows to let fresh air in. Gather the whole family and start the battle against germs, dust and toxins.
Mickey, our resident pup at Ranchers’ Rise, is gearing up for spring cleaning with his human as well. First up on their list is to decrease the dust mite population in their home. This should be your top priority too if someone in the family has allergies or asthma.
Here’s how Mickey and his human are getting rid of dust mites:
- Flip and vacuum the mattress. Replace the cover with a mite-proof one.
- Wash all bed linen in warm water—this includes duvets and blankets.
- Replace all pillows that are over two years old. Did you know that pillows that have been with you for two years already consist of 10% dust mite feces? Do you really want to sleep on feces?
- Clear all rooms from clutter that are collecting dust, such as old magazines and books.
- Vacuum all carpets and rugs (and remember to do it every week).
- Use a microfibre cloth and water to wipe all surfaces.
How do you clean your beautiful bathroom in Ranchers’ Rise? Here are Mickey’s tips:
- Wipe your tub and shower walls with a disinfectant ever week. Give your toilet handle and seat, faucets and handles a thorough wipe as often as possible.
- To prevent mold and mildew, spray your bathroom’s ceiling with hydrogen peroxide.
- Ditch your soap dishes as these are bacterial breeding grounds.
- Purge your medicine cabinet from expired or unused medication.
Now, let’s head over to the kitchen. Did you know that the kitchen sink are breeding grounds for germs and home to carcinogenic products? Mickey’s kitchen cleaning tips are as follows:
- Get rid of all your Teflon-coated pots and pans and replace them with cast iron or good quality stainless steel.
- Clean out the fridge from expired items and moldy food.
- Throw in your damp sponges into the washing at the end of the day or run them through the dishwasher’s entire cycle.
- Sprinkle baking powder at the bottom of your trash cans after scrubbing them to keep them odor-free.
- Replace your water filter regularly.
Always remember to clean your furnace filter regularly too and to give your basement a deep cleaning. Mickey advises that you do regular cleaning every week and deep cleaning once a month to make sure that there will be no buildup of dust and germs.
It is also recommended that you use “green” cleaning products so as not to harm the environment. Okotoks, is a green and sustainable community that promotes environmental awareness and the homes Ranchers’ Rise are no exception. Mickey and his fellow community members—humans and pets alike—are always mindful about how they can live in harmony with nature.
Isn’t it nice to be part of such a community? Ranchers’ Rise is currently developing a new phase and building new homes for sale in Okotoks. These homes are designed and built with the homeowner’s comfort and convenience in mind by some of the best home builders in Calgary. Each home houses spacious living areas and bedrooms, stainless steel appliances in the kitchen and beautifully designed bathrooms.
If you’d like to have a look at the showhomes, please contact us here.